06 April 2011

One Month Later...

It's going to be a month since I attended the Swaminarayan Museum grand opening festivities.  After a couple of days of getting adjusted to the time difference, sorting through mail, and getting acclimated to the weather, life was back to normal.  Well not exactly, more just a little bit of the experience has been preserved.

The impression the Swaminarayan Museum left on me goes beyond the experiences of witnessing some fantastic historical artifacts.  It's transcends having been in the presence of our divine gurus, His Holiness Acharaya Maharajshri, His Holiness Lalji Maharajshri, and His Holiness Mota Maharajshri.  The time spent with my fellow American, UK, and Indian satsangis resulted in memories I will treasure as much as, if not more, than the experience of coming into close contact with prasadi items from Maharaj's time.

In no way am I belittling the enormous effect the actual museum had on my trip.  Rather, I am touching on the essence of what I've come to associate with the term "satsang".  It's about "true association".  The building that was constructed to house the prasadi items and allow Haribhaktas to have the privilege of their divine darshan was also the site where satsang was commenced.  During the opening ceremonies, I was seated by my American and UK brethren.  I remember looking over at them on numerous occasions exchanging a glance of amazement.  A moment of unspoken truth.  That we are right where we are supposed to be.  That we are associated with people who are true. 

I think of my friend Ravi from UK who we affectionately refer to as Pablo.  His matter of fact observations on topics ranging from politics, sports, the environment, and the economy continue to make me smile and more often laugh.  Ravi's carefree, but mind you not careless, commentary on life contributed to the soundtrack of my trip.  My time spent with Super "Smart" Steve (SSS), Mr. Svetan of Woolwich who is so humble that news of his name being mentioned in this blog entry will surely result in an extended "whoaaaaaa" combined with some red in the face.  He spent ample time caring for his dear friend Bhaven after he had contracted a stomach ailment, typical for NRI's visting Hindustan.  Triple-S as he's known across Europe and in the Americas, took care of his buddy.  Such a simple thing, but what an important aspect of satsang. My memories of James Dean's alter ego, Rajni; aka Rodney; aka Roders (long o) and how he effortlessly managed to get the greatest tan an Indian possibly could and never was there a sliver of perspiration on his brow.  Not only was Roders the essence of cool, but he taught me how to negotiate and bargain with riksha drivers.  A lesson that I can say I am a few rupees wealthier for having learned.  I'm probably safe from any altercations at the point of sale as well. 

There are so many other satsangis I can remember who helped paint the walls of my heart with their memories.  Satsang is a term that is thrown about and used routinely.  Without careful inspection though, the mahima, the meaning, the heart of the term can get lost in the mix of all other emotions and actions.  Satsang for me is the true association with those who have deep adoration for Bhagwan and his bhaktas.  Though the memories of the museum remain vivid in my mind, it's the time I spent with the satsangis from near and far that reside in my heart.  One month later, but it's as if I'm there right now with my fellow Americans, UK, and Indian satsangi brothers.  It's as if I'm at the museum, right now.  Satsang, aka true association, preserves the memories that are worth having.   

3 comments:

  1. Awesome article...so funny as well...like I've said before there are many thanks to be given to Maharajshree for establishing NNDYM...because of Him we are continuously making new friends and the family is growing...awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phenomenal! This introspective, and 'intrAspective', view of the truest essence of Satsang is 'heth'. Thanks for reminding us all of the love for Bhagwan is the love 'heth' for His Haribhaktos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sat (truth)
    sang (company)

    true satsang adds more value to a human

    ReplyDelete